Artist Buying Program Information
The Heritage Center purchases traditional artwork directly from Lakota artists. Items we purchase from artists include (but are not limited to):
- Star Quilts
- Antler work
- Wood Carvings
- Music (CDs)
- Clothing and Apparel
- Dentalium Jewelry
Guidelines for Selling Items to The Heritage Center
- Proof of enrollment and Age Requirement (IACA)
– In accordance with the Federal Indian Arts and Craft Act, we are required to have a copy of proof of enrollment on file before we can purchase any items from any artist, and we cannot purchase anything made by anyone under the age of 18. We will also collect artist’s contact information including address and phone number.
- Culturally Sensitive Items
– The Heritage Gift Shop will not carry any culturally sensitive items or materials that are illegal to resell. (Ceremonial pipes or any items made using parts of endangered or otherwise protected wildlife).
- Direct buying
– All items must be purchased either directly from the artist or from an individual authorized in writing by the artist. For example, there will be no purchases of star quilts received at giveaways or items inherited/given to a person from family members who made the item.
- “Fine Art”
– The Gift Shop’s inventory focuses primarily on the traditional arts and mediums of the Lakota (and/or the Očhéthi Šakówiŋ) including but not limited to quillwork, beadwork, parfleche, jewelry, and star quilts. All “Fine Art” should be entered in the Art Show in the spring of each year. Any items that need extra consideration can be brought to the Director for a decision.
- Purchasing will be based on several factors:
-Our ability to resell the item at the price asked
-Demand – this means that if our sales are slow, we are not able to purchase additional items until sales pick up again.
-Inventory levels – we are only able to keep a certain number of each type of item in our inventory at one time. If we have enough of a certain type of artwork we will not purchase more until some of those items have sold.
-Budget availability – we have a set budget and cannot spend more than we have budgeted.
Upcoming Buying Days will be posted on social media or you can call The Heritage Center for information. If you have any other questions or concerns please call Michelle at 605-867-9601.